Help Centre

Ask us a question

What happens if property is unoccupied on a household policy?

The following details apply. We've also included some useful questions to ask your clients with unoccupied properties.


 Buildings & Contents Section

The standard policy cover and rates are based on the assumption that we are covering normally occupied and furnished private dwellings. However, policyholders are requested to advise us if the premises are to be left unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days as cover for malicious acts, water escaping, oil escaping, theft and, under Buildings only, breaking of glass and sanitary fittings is excluded after this period of a property being left unoccupied.


Questions to ask your clients

 If a property is to be unoccupied for longer than 60 days, you'll need to let us know full details, including:

* Why the premises are being left unoccupied and for how long?

* What precautions are being taken to safeguard the premises and Contents?

* Are the premises undergoing alteration, repair, renovation or being converted?

* Is the sum insured to change, e.g. valuables/contents removed?

* If during the winter months (November to March), has the heating been left on?

* Is there a responsible person/keyholder visiting the property and If yes, how often?

Rate this entry:

Rate this entry

Was this helpful to you?

Log in and save this page to your favourites.